Thursday 12 April 2012

MAC Fix+ (and how I use it)


MAC Fix+ is one of those products people seem to have a love hate relationship with. Some people say it's glorified water whilst others rave about using it to refresh their make up or to get a foiled effect from their eyeshadows. I've tried using it for both of these purposes and it left me feeling a bit 'meh' so my Fix+ languished in my collection for about six months until recently. 

It all started with a sample of Chanel's Perfection Lumiere. I found it looked really cakey on me when I applied it with a dry brush so I set aside until one day when my Real Techniques Stippling brush was still a bit wet after being washed. I'd never thought of using a damp brush to apply foundation before because most of my foundations offer lighter coverage and I didn't want to sheer them out with a damp brush but it worked really well with Perfection Lumiere. I wanted to see if there would be any difference between using water and Fix+ so I tried both and found that the foundation's staying power was improved by using Fix+. I'd say I got around an extra two hours of wear. My favourite thing about using Fix+ in this way is that it prevents heavier foundations from looking too cakey or flat on my skin.

The only other way I use my Fix+ is if I'm using my MAC MSF Natural as a powder foundation (usually over my Origins Vita Zing moisturiser). I'm quite heavy handed with the powder so to prevent my face from looking too powdery I like to spray some Fix+ on an ELF Powder Brush and then sort of stamp it all over my face. 

I've not tried any other products like Fix+ so I can't really compare it to anything. I do think it works a bit better than water when it comes to using powder or heavier foundations so if you use these products regularly, I'd say it was worth the investment but otherwise I don't think it's a necessity. I'm not sure if I'd repurchase it but I've only used about a fifth of the bottle so who knows how I'll feel when I run out of it!


A 100ml bottle is priced at £12.50 (link)

Do you use Fix+?

Stace xx

6 comments:

  1. Interesting post - I've always wanted to try that but haven't, as I couldn't quite figure out what it's best used for. I currently use ELF's Makeup Mist & Set and don't get on with it too well, the spray is much too heavy and literally soaks your face and gets in your eyes. Might give Fix+ a try instead! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the ELF one but I hated the way it sprayed and smelled so I didn't use it on my face. Let me know what you think if you try it!xx

      Delete
  2. very creative girl. never would have thought of this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try mehron setting spray...really cheap on ebay...and really sets the foundation...although I didn't find it really efective for powderness..maybe I'll try your technique:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of that! I was thinking of trying the Caudalie one next :) xx

      Delete